One of the most common literary devices used in contemporary and cosy romances, a ‘meet cute’ is where two characters meet in a cute, funny, or casual way before pursuing each other romantically. I’ve written 22 meet cute writing prompts to help you start a romance story.
One of my favourite meet cute settings are coffee shop meet cutes, usually between a customer and a barista, or seeing each other across the shop.
If you read or watch any romance stories, you’ve probably come across people bumping into each other or spilling a drink on a stranger. These kinds of meet cutes pop up in romcoms and usually involve love at first sight.
Any acknowledgement or credit for using any of my prompts is always appreciated, whether it’s linking to my website from yours or a social media shoutout.
22 meet cute writing prompts
You can take just one prompt or combine any of the following for one story! Every prompt is entirely up to your imagination.
You’ll find prompts for characters, words, settings, tropes, plotlines, and something sensory below.
Characters: A librarian. An amateur photographer. A charming stranger.
Words: Glance. Mirror. Touch. Chance. Drinking. Saviour.
Settings: Coffee shop. Festival. Dancefloor.
- They help a stranger pick up flowers strewn across the floor and are offered it as a bouquet.
- Asking for help to reach something high turns into a romantic moment.
- A rivalry begins over the best seat in the library.
- Their day starts with an anonymous note and a smile.
- Every request for help is just a ploy to get to know them better.
- The owner of the rental property is more than happy to lend a hand.
You could even mix them up with some more romance writing prompts.